Apply to join our editorial team.
+972 Magazine is an English-language, independent, online news and political magazine that publishes on-the-ground reporting, investigative and in-depth features, analysis, and commentary. The site is committed to professional journalistic standards, democratic values, human rights, resisting the occupation, and freedom of information.
We do not represent nor are we aligned with any other organization, political party, or special interests. +972 Magazine is published by the non-profit organization “972 – Advancement of Citizen Journalism,” which is also the direct employer of +972 Magazine’s staff.
We’re looking for a professional journalist to join our team of editors. The requirements are down below.
The editor will work alongside +972 Magazine’s other editors in the day-to-day operation of the website, with a central role in the creation and production of news and analytical reportage. In addition, the new editor will have an ongoing role in helping shape the editorial focus of +972.
- Editing news articles and features
- Editing and writing op-eds and analysis
- Newswriting and reporting
- Identifying, commissioning, and publishing stories
- Seeking out and developing relationships with journalists to work with +972
- Monitoring local and international media to inform +972 stories
- Translation from Hebrew or Arabic to English
- Helping manage the website and its social media presence
- Working as a part of the editorial team on a day-to-day basis and participating in weekly editorial meetings
- Proven experience writing, editing, or producing high-quality journalism in English
- An intimate familiarity with the political landscape of Israel-Palestine and the wider Middle East. Must be a news/politics junkie. Familiarity with the social, political, and human rights movements active in the local arena is a major advantage
- Willingness to work flexible hours
- Ability to work under stress, especially in breaking news situations, and to manage and prioritize multiple tasks
- Residency in Israel, East Jerusalem, or the West Bank
- A commitment to the basic values of the site: democracy, opposing the occupation, and freedom of information and the press
- English — Mother-tongue or fully fluent
- Fluency in either Hebrew, Arabic, or both for purposes of news gathering and reporting, translation, media monitoring, and coordination of guest writers
Terms of position
- Full-time, competitive salary, and full social benefits
- Most of the work is done from our office in Tel Aviv or remotely from home
- Fairly flexible hours
To submit an application please fill out this form and attach a CV, cover letter, two references, and an English-language writing sample by September 10. (The form requires being logged into a Google account. If you encounter any problems, please email us at the address below.)
We will respond to all applications shortly after the deadline.
Work begins in early October.
For questions: firstname.lastname@example.org