+972 Magazine is an independent online magazine that publishes on-the-ground reporting, investigations, unique analysis, and commentary from Israel-Palestine. Our core values are a commitment to equity, justice, and freedom of information. We believe in accurate and fair journalism that spotlights the people and communities working to oppose occupation and apartheid, and that showcases perspectives often overlooked or marginalized in mainstream narratives.
+972 Magazine is published by the non-profit organization 972—Advancement of Citizen Journalism (972-ACJ), which is also the direct employer of +972 Magazine’s staff.
We are committed to diversity in our team, and especially welcome applications from women and non-binary candidates, Palestinians, and members of the LGBTQ community.
Not sure if you meet all the requirements for the position? We still highly encourage you to apply.
The editor-in-chief leads and manages a team of editors as well as staff and freelance writers in running +972 Magazine and all of its activities and operations. The editor-in-chief is responsible for all journalistic work done by and for the site, for setting its editorial agenda within the site’s mandate, and for all publishing and promotional activities.
The editor-in-chief reports to the executive director of 972—ACJ in all matters except for day-to-day editorial decision-making, while coordinating strategy and policies together.
The editor-in-chief position is a unique opportunity to help shape the public conversation on Israel-Palestine and lead one of the most exciting media projects in the field at a pivotal political moment. It is also a chance to work with an incredible team in a dynamic organization that is constantly growing and evolving. The job is based in Israel-Palestine, and combines online and in-person meetings.
- At least five years’ experience working in journalism, including at least three years in an editing position.
- At least two years’ management experience.
- Strong, proven writing and editing skills and experience.
- Strong journalistic instincts and the ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically.
- Familiarity with trends in digital media and technology, including content distribution platforms, newsletter and email strategies, and different storytelling formats.
- Strong familiarity with Israeli and Palestinian societies, politics, activist movements, human rights groups.
- Familiarity with progressive movements around the world, particularly anti-occupation and anti-apartheid groups.
- Cultural literacy in English-speaking and other foreign audiences and communities.
- Experience commissioning reporting and analysis, ideally on Israel-Palestine.
- A commitment to the basic values of the site.
- A working understanding of the legal climate for journalists and publishers in Israel-Palestine and a proven ability to identify legal risks in journalism.
- Cultural and political sensitivity to the various communities and narratives in Israel-Palestine.
- Experience managing social media accounts.
- Experience experimenting with tactics designed to reach new audiences and expand existing ones.
- Working knowledge of online editing and publishing tools.
- Strong time management, multi-tasking, and delegation skills.
- An open-minded and creative approach to journalism and storytelling.
- Leading and managing a small team of editors and writers, including weekly editorial meetings, daily supervision, and ongoing training and development.
- Ultimate responsibility for all published content, and for the wellbeing of the site and its team.
- Working directly with editors and staff and freelance writers to commission, shape, and produce unique reporting and analysis.
- Editing and writing.
- Overseeing content distribution and audience engagement through various channels, including social media, our newsletter, podcast, webinars, and others.
- Identifying areas where +972 Magazine can add value in shaping the conversation on Israel-Palestine, and designing and implementing strategies for doing so.
- Maintaining and developing relationships with organizations, activists, actors, analysts, politicians, and other publications.
- Overseeing long-term reporting/coverage and especially investigations.
- Developing, exploring, and utilizing innovative storytelling tools and concepts.
- Working directly with out-of-house technical, graphics, and legal teams.
- Working to grow the site’s audience and membership.
- Developing creative and strategic ways of engaging our community of readers, and of growing our reader revenues, in coordination with the resource development team.
- Coordinating with and working alongside Local Call (the Hebrew-language news site co-published by 972—ACJ and Just Vision).
- Representing +972 Magazine in public forums, media interviews, and other relevant groups.
- Native English (required).
- Very strong Hebrew (required).
- Arabic (advantage).
Terms of Employment
- Full-time, competitive salary, and full social benefits.
- Some of the work can be done remotely/out of office.
- Some flexibility in work hours.
- The position is based in Israel-Palestine and requires presence on the ground.
To submit an application, please fill out this form by June 11, 2023, and attach:
- Your CV.
- A cover letter.
- Contact details for two references.
- Two writing/editing samples.
(The form requires being logged into a Google account. If you encounter any problems, please email us at the address below.)
We will respond to all applications shortly after the deadline.
Work begins in August 2023.
For questions: [email protected]